Tuesday, July 26, 2011

A Tale of 2 Fishes.....

So, I have been MIA and I am seriously sorry!  But I am here now, crawling out from under a rock to share some favorites, old and new.  These are 2 similar, but different recipes~Salmon Patties and Tuna Croquettes.  


Salmon Patties


What You Need:
1 can of salmon, bones and nasties removed.  I use 1 large pouch of boneless, skinless.
1/2 cup chopped onion
2 eggs, beaten
1 tsp pepper
1 tsp lemon juice
1 stack saltine crackers, crushed
oil for cooking


What You Do:
Combine salmon with onion, eggs, pepper, and lemon juice.  Stir in crackers.

Form patties and allow to rest 5 to 10 minutes.  This helps them hold together when you start cooking them.



Heat 1/2 inch oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat.  When oil is hot, cook patties 4 to 5 minutes on each side or until golden brown.  Make sure patties are cooked all the way through...no cold spots.


These are such a fond memory from my childhood!  My mom used to roll the patties in the crushed crackers, but I have found we prefer the crackers all mixed in.  It makes them wonderfully crunchy.  These are great served with tartar sauce, ketchup, or just a squeeze of lemon.  Growing up we ate them with Worcestershire sauce and I oddly enough liked mustard on them sometimes instead.  If you are really a glutton for punishment, serve them with home fries and cole slaw!


And now on to recipe two....


Tuna Croquettes


What You Need:
1 can tuna, well drained (I rinse before hand as well)
2 green onions, well chopped.
1 stalk celery, well chopped
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1 egg, beaten
1/3 cup panko (Japanese bread crumbs)
extra panko for breading
oil for cooking


What You Do:
Drain tuna well.  I like to rinse it also just because I don't like "fishy" fish at all.  Combine tuna, green onion, celery, and spices.  Stir in egg.  Mix in panko and allow to sit for 5 to 10 minutes.  I tried forming patties immediately and they didn't hold together well. 
Heat 1/2 inch oil over medium high heat.  Form patties and roll in additional panko.  Fry patties until golden brown and crispy.  These were good...much to my husband's surprise.


Tip: Health nuts, please close your browser now.  Everyone else, read on.  So I hate hate hate the smell left in the house after frying!  Don't tell my kids I said hate because I tell them its not nice, but I seriously do.  In his fried chicken episode Alton Brown said shortening was more refined because it is often used in cooking and as a result it doesn't release that "fry smell" into the air as bad.  I have been known to cook salmon patties outside to avoid the smell of fried fish in the house.  The shortening totally helps!  You could tell I'd cooked something but it didn't permeate the house like before.

No comments:

Post a Comment