Sunday, June 19, 2011

Overnight French Toast Casserole

I put this together last night to throw in the oven this morning for Father's Day breakfast.  It was a hit so I thought I'd share it with you all.  It was easy and yummy, great for a special breakfast!  


What you need:
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup butter (1 stick)
2 tablespoons corn syrup
1 loaf French bread (or any thick cut bread)
5 eggs, beaten
1 1/4 cup milk
1/4-1/2 cup sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla


What you do:
Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat mixing brown sugar and corn syrup in until it comes together as a thick syrup.  Pour into a 13x9 baking dish.  Top with thick pieces of bread covering the bottom.  Mix eggs, milk, sugar, and vanilla and pour over top.  Cool slightly and cover with foil then put in the fridge until ready to cook.  Place in oven and turn it on to 350.  (Put cold dish on cold oven if glass so it will warm slowly, cold dish + hot oven = potential glass breakage!)  Bake for 40 minute and remove foil.  Bake about 10 minutes more until well set and starting to brown.  Let sit 5-10 minutes then top pieces with powdered sugar.  Serve with fruit for a yummy treat!

5 comments:

  1. yum!!!! I was just lamenting to myself this morning that we needed something interesting for breakfast. I shall give it a try, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I may try this while I am in Texas. I typically end up cooking for the family. :-) This looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tried this once- oh my! Not sure what I did wrong (maybe my pot was too small?), but it didn't turn out well. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh no! You tried my recipe? I made this in a glass 13x9 baking dish.

    ReplyDelete